Autumn means my home is permeating with the aroma of pumpkins, apples, and fragrant spices. I like to start my holiday baking early when these ingredients are fresh and ripe. Right now that means create recipes with juicy apples and plump pumpkins. I came across a decadent Pumpkin Spice Cake recipe, and kiddos and I created some awesome masterpieces.
There are lots of cute baking forms available online or in stores, and we found two that created some really adorable cakes. They put you in the spirit of Thanksgiving.
The kids loved the autumn critters and foliage that we would normally see this time of year. I found this baking form from Michaels and couldn’t resist. The cakes are just so cute and perfect portion size.
The squirrel got the most attention. I was really happy that despite all the small intricate pieces, each one came out whole.
The second form is like a muffin tin, but in the shape of little pumpkins. We created six perfectly shaped pumpkin cakes that showed the details of a real pumpkin.
Pumpkin Spice Cake
- 1 1/4 cups shortening
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 can pumpkin puree 15 ounce
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Grease and flour a 10" bundt pan or muffin tins.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, eggs, brown sugar and white sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the pumpkin puree. Beat in the flour mixture. Stir in chopped pecans,
- Pour into prepared baking pans.
- Bake in preheated oven to 60 - 65 minutes if using a bundt pan. If using muffin tins, bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto wire baking rack and cool completely.
The holidays are all about family, friends, and getting together. These charming little cakes will be perfect for your Thanksgiving holiday spread!