I’ve been a vegan for most of my life and I love this way of eating. I completely enjoy eating nothing but fruits, vegetables, greens, nuts and seeds. There are times when I will go completely raw or juice fast for a few weeks, but I always go back to my comfortable vegan diet. One of the biggest, I won’t say complaints, but concerns, is that produce is expensive. And it can be especially if you buy organic.
Another cavil is that some recipes are time-consuming and call for unusual ingredients. Well, I can agree on this and have experienced it myself. But, there is a new recipe book on the market will make vegan life far less complex, Liv B’s Vegan on a Budget.
112 Inspired & Effortless Plant-Based Recipes
Just like the author Liv B, I too developed painful digestive issues when I was quite young. I was in my teens when I made the connection between my diet and my health conditions. This ah ha moment lead me to a vegan lifestyle and I haven’t looked back. Back then, there were not a lot of recipe or cookbooks to choose from, and many of the recipes I tried lacked flavor. So, it’s inspiring and exciting when I see new vegan recipe books hit the shelves. I have to have them.
This vibrant vegan book in divided into seven different menu categories, Staples & Sauces, Breakfast & Brunch, Snack & Small Bites, Soup & Sides, Sandwiches, Wraps and Salads, Mains and Sweets. Each section has a wide variety of recipes to test drive.
You may have tried some vegan recipes in the past, but were put off by the lack of taste and seasoning. This is where Liv B’s Vegan on a Budget will not only help your taste buds, but will get you hooked on vegan meals. Each recipe was created with a balance between health, comfort food and an abundance of delicious flavors.
Takeout Thai Curry Coconut Soup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil 30 mL
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions 125 mL
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper 250 mL
- 1 cup chopped broccoli 250 mL
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 3 tbsp Thai yellow curry paste (see My Tip)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger 2 mL
- 2 cups vegetable broth 500 mL
- 1 cup water 250 mL
- 1 14 oz can full-fat coconut milk 398 mL
- 3 tbsp brown sugar 45 mL
- 4 oz rice vermicelli noodles 125 mL
- Heat a medium pot over medium heat. Add the coconut oil and heat until shimmering. Add the garlic and green onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the garlic is just beginning to brown. Add the bell pepper, broccoli and carrot; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened slightly.
- Add the curry paste, ginger, vegetable broth, water, coconut milk and brown sugar; stir until combined and the curry paste is completely dissolved. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the soup has thickened slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a separate medium pot according to the package directions. Drain.
- Add the noodles to the curry mixture and stir to combine. Divide evenly among 4 bowls. Serve.
Be sure to read the ingredients list on your curry paste, as some brands contain seafood.
The onset of the book starts you off by stocking your pantry with the ingredients you’ll need to make the included recipes. There are a few tips and techniques offered, sample menus, plus an explanation of the 3 symbols that will appear on the legend at the top of each recipe — Gluten-Free, Portable and Great for Gatherings.
The bright and colorful photos will inspire you to get in your kitchen and make the recipes shown. Other recipes included in this book that may influence your meal planning are Crispy Avocado Open-Face Sandwiches, Cheesy Warm Nachos, Half-Baked Cookie Dough Pancakes, Broccoli with Cheese Sauce, Chocolate Chia Pudding, Famous Lasagna Soup, Gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, Basil – Tomato and Parmesan Pasta Salad, Chickpea -Lentil and Sweet Potato Curry, Blueberry Pie Oatmeal and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies.
All the recipe are easy to make, include easy to find ingredients, easy to follow instructions, and share a finished photo. So if you’ve been pondering the idea of trying some vegan recipes, look no further. Liv B’s Vegan on a Budget is ideal for newbie vegans looking for a starting point or seasoned vegans looking for new recipes. I’m delighted to have this vegan recipe book in my culinary collection.
Disclosure: I received product to facilitate a review. All opinions are my own, yours may differ. This post contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees, at no cost to you, by linking to Amazon.ca and Amazon.com affiliated sites.