We all have engaging and active lives and usually have to be in three places at once. Busy schedules, hectic hours and heavy workloads can significantly influence how well we eat. Coming home after a long day and planning a healthy supper can be overwhelming and daunting. No one wants to slave in the kitchen for hours, which is where a great recipe book would be of value. I recently found the Best of Bridge Weekday Suppers cookbook and it’s loaded with easy to make wholesome meals. I can see it being the go-to cookbook for many households!
Best of Bridge Weekday Suppers
The Best of Bridge Weekday Supper cookbook is filled with 175 quick-to-prepare recipes that are easy enough to make whether after a long day or if you have company coming. This creative cookbook is divided into ten different categories — Supper Soups, Supper Salads, Supper Sandwiches, Pizza and Pasta, Beef and Veal, Lamb and Pork, Chicken and Turkey, Fish and Seafood, Vegetarian Suppers and Quick & Easy Sweet Stuff.
One of the biggest complaints families make is having a variety of meal options. Eating the same recipes is boring so we crave something different. You’ll find hearty and flavorful recipes in the Best of Bridge Weekday Suppers where you can make a different meal every night of the week.
Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup
- 1 tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger, freshly grated
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder 2 mL
- 8 cups ready-to-use beef broth 2 L
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce 30 mL
- 2 tbsp fish sauce 30 mL
- 8 oz dried flat rice noodles 250 g
- 1 lb boneless beef sirloin steak, into very thin slices 500 g
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups bean sprouts 500 mL
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro 250 mL
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or basil 125 mL
- 2 limes, quartered
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic, onion and ginger for 5 minutes.
- Add five-spice powder, broth, hoisin sauce and fish sauce; bring to a boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes. Add noodles and boil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in beef and boil until noodles are tender and beef is hot. (Be careful not to overcook noodles or they will become mushy.)
- Ladle soup into large bowls and sprinkle with green onions, bean sprouts, cilantro and mint.
- Serve with lime quarters, jalapeño slices (if using) and Sriracha.
- Tip: Place beef in freezer for 15 minutes before slicing; this makes it easier to slice the meat very thinly.
The cookbook starts off with a few helpful measuring tips and goes straight into the recipes. Each recipe will also offer and tip or two with simplified methods to speed up cooking. Some of the delectable weekday recipes include Smokey Tomato Chickpea Soup, Grilled Cheese Croutons, Lemon Garlic Potatoes, Curried Turkey Pie, Savory Baked French Toast and Feta Meatballs. If you have a vegetarian in the family, no worries, this cookbook has got you covered with scrumptious recipes like Meal in a Muffin, Zucchini Parmesan Patties, and Spicy Tofu and Bok Choy.
They also offer clever ideas for leftovers that can be turned into lunch the next day. Plus, there are lots of mouth-watering images that will inspire you to create new meals for your family. All the recipes are creative, nutritious, easy to make and delicious. Best of Bridge Weekday Suppers is the perfect addition to your culinary collection.
Disclaimer: I received product to facilitate a review. All views are my own, yours may differ.