Summer is here! We wait all year for this season so we can enjoy the warm weather, vibrant sun, and outdoor activities. There is no better time for packing up the family and enjoying some hiking, walking, picnicking in the park, camping, planting some flowers or veggies, geocaching, or even some stargazing. National Geographic makes outdoor adventures fun, easy and exciting for kids of all ages to get outside and explore their world with their books on bugs, rocks, parks, stars and a cool Backyard Safari Kit.
Discover the many insects, spiders, and other creatures―aka BUGS!―that creep, crawl, and fly around your neighborhood and beyond. Young explorers learn where, when, and how to safely and kindly find insects, spiders, and other creepy-crawlies such as worms and pill bugs with this fun and sturdy take-along guide. Features include:
- Easy-to-understand profiles of a variety of insects and spiders commonly found in North America, along with some exotic bugs from around the world
- Vibrant National Geographic photography that brings the subject matter to life
- “Check Me Out!” fact boxes that provide more information about each creature, including size and color, where it’s found, and what it eats
- Basic facts about insect and spider anatomy and life cycles
- Tips on how to how to become keen observers and explorers, and how and where to spot insects and spiders
- Fun facts sprinkled throughout
- Simple text for reading aloud or for beginning readers
- Ideas for related activities
- A helpful glossary
- Flexible binding for durability
- (ages 4-8, flexibound)
This fun-filled guide inspires kids to get out of the house and explore the great outdoors, whether in their backyard, across the country, or around the world. Full of fun activities, kids will learn how to make backyard bird baths, explore their local state parks, participate in an outdoor community event, and much more. Activities for every season and rainy day activities are also included. Facts, lists, and sidebars supplement activities to help put information into geographic, scientific, and/or historical context, to help kids dig deeper and learn more. (ages 8-12, paperback)
Read all about these greatest of American treasures — from Acadia to Zion — in preparation for a parks visit sometime soon. Filled with color photos, information on animals, fascinating lists, facts, maps, cool things to do, conservation tips, and much more — think of this book as your trusted guide to these most majestic of places. (ages 8-12, paperback)
This photo-filled, fact-packed night sky guide encourages kids to stop and look up to spot stars and planets right from their own backyards. From Mars to meteor showers, Scorpius to satellites, kids will learn how, where, and when to spot these space-dwelling phenomena in the night sky at any time of year. With tons of info and interactivity prompts, it’s the perfect companion for backyard, field trips, camping or vacation. Durable and portable, it’s just right for your pocket or backpack!
- Did you know that Montana’s Grasshopper Glacier is filled with millions of frozen locusts that got caught in a storm more than 300 million years ago?
- Or that Roman soldiers were said to get some of their pay in salt, and the word salary comes from “sal,” the Roman word for salt?
In this latest single-subject Weird But True! book, readers will learn about everything from rocks in outer space to precious gems found in Earth’s deepest oceans and everything in between, including rock-related careers, art, geography, history, consumer products (did you know the average car has 44 pounds of copper in it??) and simple tools, tips and “how to’s” to get outside and become a rock hound!
Dress for adventure! The National Geographic Backyard Safari Kit includes a safari vest featuring handy cargo pockets and carry tabs, a safari hat and loads of gear for making the most out of any outdoor adventure including a magnifying glass, compass, whistle, and pair of binoculars, all made specially for kids with durability and safety in mind. The set also comes with a mini pencil and field guide that details characteristics of the different types of animals and plant life your kids will see and provides pages for them to record their observations. (ages 6+)
Disclaimer: I received complimentary products to facilitate a review. All opinions are my own, yours may differ.