A raw vegan diet is more than just eating fruits and veggies, and creating smoothies. There are oodles of recipes on the web and lots of raw vegan books on the market that lend themselves to expanding your dietary menu while remaining totally raw. Meals can have the same flavors and textures as the standard diet, but a whole lot healthier. As a child, I use to love pepperoni and miss the punch of tangy flavors. I found several recipes that call for cauliflower, zucchini’s, etc., plus lots of herbs and spices to create just the right zing I miss. I found one recipe that I totally love and thought I’d share it with you.
As a child, I use to love pepperoni and miss the punch of tangy flavors. I found several recipes that call for cauliflower, zucchini’s, Irish moss, etc., plus lots of herbs and spices to create just the right zing I miss. One recipe stood out that I totally love and I thought I’d share it with you.
One of the ingredients that you might not be familiar with is Irish Moss. Irish moss is a seaweed. It’s really high in minerals, protein, iodine, and Irish moss, in particular, helps rejuvenate and plump up your skin and hair. We’re talking the real Irish moss you get from the sea, not the powder or flakes which have been cooked and processed. Not only can you make beautiful desserts and meals with this seaweed, but your skin, hair, and thyroid will thoroughly benefit. It’s the perfect vegan substitute for collagen and gelatin.
Raw Vegan Pepperoni Recipe
- 1/2 cup coconut meat from young coconuts
- 1/3 cup Irish Moss Gel
- 2 tbsp sun-dried or fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell peppers chopped
- 1 tbsp raisins chopped into bits
- 1/2 tsp fresh beets, chopped finely for color, optional
- 1 clove garlic optional
- 1 1/2 tbsp Nama Shoyu or Braggs Amino Acids
- Chop coarsely in blender or food processor.
- Make patties and dehydrate at 115 °, flipping halfway.
- Depending on how thick you make the patties, it takes about 12 hours to dehydrate.
- I usually make about 4 or 5 batches at once so I can fill up my dehydrator.
The raw vegan pepperoni tastes great in a salad, sandwich, in casseroles, or even on a standard pizza. My family loves the flavor and piles it on their homemade pizza. They also like to eat them straight and carry them in a zip lock baggy. They’re perfect for a school and in between meals snack.