Rice Krispie cereal has been the base for a plethora of recipes throughout the years, and I’ve made many of them. It’s simple to make and the original classic recipe can be mixed with so many different ingredients to come up with a diverse selection of yummy tastes, or served as is.
Ironically, St. Patrick’s color was blue, not green. But in the 19th century, green was chosen as a symbol for Ireland because of its lush landscape. Ireland is called the Emerald Isle because of the vast rain and mist prevalent all year round.
Sticking with tradition, we created a delicious green snack just for St. Patrick’s Day. I took the classic recipe and added some green color from spinach to give it that glorious Irish glow.
Rice Krispies Classic Recipe
Shamrock Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter 50 mL
- 5 cups mini marshmallows or 40 regular 250 g pkg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 2 mL
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Green color - 8 drops of green color OR spinach mixture (see below)
- Spinach Mixture – using 1/2 cup of spinach and 1 tbsp of water, blend in a blender or Bullet, until you get a gorgeous green color and add to batter. Spinach offers a natural food color and it’s incredibly healthy for you. Natural options are always my first choice. Younger spinach will give you a more vibrant green, whereas the larger leaf spinach will produce a darker green color.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt margarine. Add marshmallows; stir until melted and well blended. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla. Add cereal, stirring until coated.
- Using lightly buttered spatula, press into buttered 3.5L (13 x 9") pan. Cool. Cut into bars.
I always double or triple my Rice Krispie recipe so I can make several shapes. The quickest way is to add the mixture to a pan and let it set. Kids love this treat no matter what color or shape.
Rice Krispie treats can be stored at room temperature or in the fridge. These treats never last long in my home, so I never worry about freshness. My family devours them quickly because they’re magically delicious!